1. This is a penalty in American football when a player is on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage after the ball has been snapped. However, it is legal if a defensive player crosses the line of scrimmage and returns back to the correct side of the line as long as they do not touch an offensive player before the ball has been snapped. This penalty does not stop the play and the penalty is announced after the play is completed. The result of an offside penalty is five yards.
1. This is a foul when a pass is made to an attacking player who is on the opposition’s side of the field and is closer to the opposition’s goal line than both the ball and two or fewer opposing players. The goalkeeper counts as one of the opposing players.
1. A player is offside in ice hockey when the attacking player enters their attacking zone before the puck enters the zone. The puck must completely cross the closest blue line to their attacking zone before he or she can cross the line and not be called offside.
2. The forward barely crosses the blue line before the puck and is called for an offside.
3. The attacker receives the pass from the defender, but is just too far out in front and is called for an offside.
Sports The Term Is Used