Dipping your toe into the world of disc golf is easier than you might think. To become a disc golfer, all you need is a few discs and access to a disc golf course (or your own backyard targets). Whether you’re a complete beginner or you’ve been playing for years, it’s important to have the right disc golf set to meet your needs.
Find the best disc golf set for hitting the target
- Best beginner disc golf set: Dynamic Discs Prime Burst Disc Golf Starter Kit
- Best disc golf set for intermediate players: Discraft Paul McBeth Disc Golf Set
- Best disc golf set for advanced players: Discmania Active Mega Distance Disc Golf Set
- Best disc golf set for kids: K-Roo Sports Little Flyers Family Disc Golf and Target Set
- Best affordable disc golf set: Axiom Discs R2 Disc Golf Starter Set
- Best premium disc golf set: Viking Discs Competition Disc Golf Set
- Best disc golf set with portable basket: SGSPORT Disc Golf Basket with Discs
- Best glow-in-the-dark disc golf set: Divergent Discs Glow-in-the-Dark Disc Golf Set
- Best disc golf set for fun disc designs: Discraft ESP Buzzz Custom Supercolor Disc Golf Discs
- Best disc golf set with bag: Innova Discs Golf Starter Set with Bag
- Best disc golf training set: GOOSO Disc Golf Starter Set
Disc golf sets for every skill level
Disc golf sets often cater to specific levels of experience within the sport. You can also find sets to suit your budget or specific needs, like portable baskets for backyard practice or glow-in-the-dark discs for evening matches.
Best beginner disc golf set: Dynamic Discs Prime Burst Disc Golf Starter Kit
- Includes 3 discs
This Dynamic Discs set is a best-seller among new disc golfers. It includes the three must-have discs for a beginner’s starter pack, including a driver that flies straight even at low speeds for easier control. Made from high-end plastic with an excellent grip, these discs are all PDGA-approved. Plus, the set comes with a bonus mini disc to mark your lie on the fairway.
- Beginners: Adults and kids starter set, mid-weight (170-180g) neutral discs, not prone to overturn, great for beginners and intermediate players
- Driver: Escape disc gives easy control for all skill levels, flies straight at low speeds, handles enough power to achieve long distances, and is helpful as a roller
- Midrange: EMAC Truth disc is a straight flying midrange disc for maximum control when you are not in the fairway range and too far to throw a putter
- Putter: Judge putter disc is predictable in flying and hitting chains, flies straight and glides
- Quality: PDGA Approved, high-end plastic, excellent grip for consistent throws, Bonus Mini disc to mark your lie on the fairway, Colors will Vary
Best disc golf set for intermediate players: Discraft Paul McBeth Disc Golf Set
- Includes 3 discs
- Designed with world champion Paul McBeth
When you’re ready to level up your abilities on the disc golf course, consider upgrading to the Discraft Paul McBeth Disc Golf Set. This three-pack comes with Discraft’s Soft Luna putt and approach disc, Malta mid-range disc and Zeus distance driver. Each of the discs in the set was co-designed with Paul McBeth, a six-time winner at the PDGA World Championships. These discs require slightly more control without being too difficult for intermediate players to handle.
- This premium Team Discraft set includes the following molds: Soft Luna X Zeus X Malta. This is the first time the Luna is being released in soft plastic, and also the first time the Zeus and Malta are being released in X plastic. Colors and weights will be random.
Best disc golf set for advanced players: Discmania Active Mega Distance Disc Golf Set
- Includes 3 discs
- Features Discmania’s premium plastic
Experienced players may feel limited by traditional disc golf drivers. The Discmania Active Mega Distance Disc Golf Set allows for faster speeds and greater distances. Each of the included distance drivers is crafted from Active Premium plastic, a translucent and highly durable plastic. Discmania uses this material for overstable discs intended for advanced players. You’ll need a strong arm and good form to get these discs to fly the way you want, but the distance payoff is worth it.
- MEGA DISTANCE SET – Includes 3 high speed distance drivers: Mentor, Astronaut, and Majesty. If you’re looking to break new distance records, the Mega Distance set has all the tools you need to throw the farthest shots on the course!
- ACTIVE PREMIUM PLASTIC – Made from durable premium plastic. Active Premium plastic is firm and grippy plastic also bring great durability and performance for all skill levels.
- MENTOR – Flight ratings: Speed 11, Glide 5, Turn -2, Fade 2. The Mentor has been designed to optimize the distance players can achieve by combining a high speed turn and slow speed stability to make a distance driver that can be used by all players.
- ASTRONAUT – Flight ratings: Speed 12, Glide 5, Turn -4, Fade 2. The Astronaut has been created to unleash maximum distance for players of all skill levels, especially people moving towards their first high speed driver.
- MAJESTY – Flight ratings: Speed 13, Glide 5, Turn -2, Fade 2. The Majesty is a true speed 13 disc capable of handling a wide variety of shot patterns. You may find it useful as one of your first high speed overstable drivers.
Best disc golf set for kids: K-Roo Sports Little Flyers Family Disc Golf and Target Set
- Includes 8 mini discs and a 25-inch basket
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
Provide a safe and fun way for little ones to try their hand at disc golf with this junior starter set from K-Roo Sports. Designed for ages 3 and up, the set features lightweight, kid-sized discs that are easy for small hands to grasp and throw. There are four pairs of discs so up to four players or teams can compete at once. Plus, the set includes a 25-inch-tall basket that’s easy to set up in minutes.
- Little Flyers Disc Golf: Everything you need to create your very own disc golf courses, indoors and out! Includes 8 mini discs and basket
- Miniature Discs: Just like the real thing, but mini. Perfect for even the youngest disc golfers. Lightweight and easy to toss around the yard and toward the basket
- Portable Basket Target: Stands 25 inches tall, with an 11-inch basket and 14-inch stabilizing feet. It's easy to setup and teardown in seconds so you can take it to tailgates, picnics, and playdates
- 4 Player Games: Includes 8 mini discs in four pairs, so up to four players, or teams, can play at once
- How To Play: Full rules, set-up, and throwing instructions are printed right on the storage box. Rules are easy to understand for adults and children alike
Best affordable disc golf set: Axiom Discs R2 Disc Golf Starter Set
- Includes 3 discs
- Made with recycled materials
This Axiom set is a great option if you’re on a budget. It provides all the essential discs for a beginner: a driver, a mid-range disc and a putter. Each of the discs is PDGA-approved, and they’re crafted using recycled materials for a more sustainable design.
If you’re looking for even lower prices on gear, consider checking out misprints from disc golf brands. You can often get deep discounts on discs with minor aesthetic flaws.
- A great introduction to Axiom Disc Golf Discs - R2 Disc Golf Set of 3 Discs
- Includes three Axiom discs — one Proxy putter, one Paradox midrange, and one Insanity driver in our recycled R2 plastic
- Whether you're new to Disc Golf or the MVP Disc Golf line - this is a great introduction set
- R2 Neutron plastic is MVP’s first step towards making disc golf a more reusable and environmentally sustainable sport, with our plastic made from recycled materials. The same feel as Soft Neutron plastic, players will find a unique black/gray core and colorful rim on all Axiom R2 Neutron discs.
- PDGA APPROVED - For all professional disc golf play
Best premium disc golf set: Viking Discs Competition Disc Golf Set
- Includes 8 discs
- Competition set made from high-quality plastics
Viking Discs is an excellent resource for top-of-the-line gear, and this competition disc golf set is no exception. The discs are made using Viking Discs Storm and Armor plastics, which offer excellent glide and long-lasting durability. With eight different discs to choose from, there’s a fit for all types of situations and conditions on the course. This disc golf set is backed by a two-year warranty and is PDGA-approved.
- 🥏 A TOTAL PACKAGE FOR DISC GOLF - The Competition Set contains a total of 8-disc golf discs and provides you with tools for all areas and situations. Just grab your discs and you're ready to play!
- 🥏 PDGA APPROVED DISCS - All the discs are approved by PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association), they are suitable for competition use.
- 🥏 DIFFERENT PLASTICS – The discs for Competition Set are carefully selected from Viking Discs Storm and Armor plastics. These discs have excellent glide and offer the best experience for starting players.
- 🥏 DETAILED DISCS - The colors and non-uniformity of the disks help you to recognize them. They are easier to find even in a difficult environment!
- 🥏 2 YEAR WARRANTY - We are confident in our products and therefore offer you a 2-year warranty on the Viking Discs Disc Golf Set.
Best disc golf set with portable basket: SGSPORT Disc Golf Basket with Discs
- Includes 6 discs, a full-size target and a carry bag
- Easy to assemble with no tools necessary
Enjoy playing in your backyard or a nearby park with this SGSPORT disc golf set. When you don’t want to travel to a disc golf course, this set is an excellent alternative. It comes with six discs (two putters, two mid-range discs and two drivers) as well as a carry bag to tote them around. The sturdy and portable disc golf basket has a solid support pole, a powder-coated steel frame and zinc galvanized chains, so it can withstand harsh weather conditions. The target only takes a few minutes to put together and requires no tools for assembly.
- 【Anti-rust & Heavy-duty】This disc golf basket is constructed of powder-coated steel frame and zinc galvanized chains, and the center solid support poles measured 1.6”, this Disc Golf Practice Basket with excellent rust and weather resistance can withstand harsh environments, suitable for outdoor practice.
- 【Stable & Sturdy】Our upgraded disc golf basket has 24 sturdier chain rack for better catching, the strong base frame strengthen the stability of this golf basket, do not need to worry about tipping over by the hit from the disc or wind.
- 【Portable and Easy to Assemble】The practice Disc Golf basket is very easy to assemble, no tools needed.There are only 6 pieces (base, base pole, basket, top pole, chain belt, and cap), which only takes you a few minutes to assemble or taken apart.
- 【Budget Friendly, Includes starter disc golf set】 This basket includes 6 pieces disc golf set (putter/mid range/driver) and a carry bag, you don’t need to buy them separately.
- 【Perfect Gift for Adults】this Double Chain disc golf basket is perfect for you or your family have fun together in the backyard or a park, any outdoor activity. Patent Pending
Best glow-in-the-dark disc golf set: Divergent Discs Glow-in-the-Dark Disc Golf Set
- Includes 3 discs
- Easy to charge with a UV flashlight
Enjoy nighttime matches with this glow-in-the-dark Divergent Discs set. You’ll get three premium discs (a driver, mid-range disc and putter) made with max grip plastic that offers excellent durability. The PDGA-approved discs need to be exposed to a flashlight to activate their glow so you can find them in the dark. For a long-lasting, extra-bright glow, charge your discs with a UV flashlight instead of a regular flashlight.
- GLOWING DISC GOLF SET - Includes Nuno (straight putter), Kapre (midrange disc), and Kraken (stable fairway driver) made from premium glow-in-the-dark max grip plastic for disc golf beginners and intermediate players
- NUNO - Straight-flying putter, perfect for putting, throwing controlled approach shots to the basket or driving off of the tee (3,4,-1,1)
- KAPRE - Stable midrange disc with a great amount of glide and very little lateral drift when you play disc golf after dark (5, 5, -1.5, -1)
- KRAKEN - Fairway Disc Golf Driver, push the distance of your throw and improve precision and accuracy for night disc golf rounds (8,5,-1,2)
- GREAT FOR DISC GOLF GLOW ROUNDS - Charge discs with a UV flashlight to activate the glowing ability and create an extra bright glimmer that lasts longer than a normal flashlight
Best disc golf set for fun disc designs: Discraft ESP Buzzz Custom Supercolor Disc Golf Discs
- Select your discs to create a custom set
- Choose from a range of unique disc prints
Add a little extra fun and personality to your disc golf matches with these Discraft Buzzz Supercolor discs. These mid-range discs feature a variety of modern, retro and realistic images that are sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face on the course. Choose from an assortment of whimsical disc golf disc designs, including a pizza or a doughnut, to create an eye-catching set.
- Good for all disc golf skill levels
- Midrange Disc
- Discraft's most Popular Disc
- Weights May Vary
- Supercolor Custom Printed
Best disc golf set with bag: Innova Discs Golf Starter Set with Bag
- Includes 3 discs, a mini marker and a carry bag
- Bag features extra pockets for phone, keys, etc.
Make it easy to carry all the essentials onto the course with this convenient Innova disc golf set. It comes with three high-quality Innova DX discs made with premium plastic to provide superior grip as well as a mini marker to mark your place on the course. Use the included shoulder bag to carry up to 10 discs in the main compartment. Additional exterior pockets are perfect for other accessories, such as a phone, wallet or set of keys.
- 3 DISC STARTER SET - Selected by experienced disc golfers at Innova, the leader in Disc Sports, this set is designed for new players. Innova Disc Golf 3 Disc Set and Mini Disc in Beginner-Friendly Easy to Throw Weights (151-159g), Colors Will Vary
- GET PLAYING – This set includes everything you need to get out on the course. Includes full colored DX Leopard Fairway Driver, DX Shark Mid-Range Driver, DX Aviar Putter, and a Classic Stars Mini Marker. Also includes an Innova Go Disc Golf Shoulder Bag that holds 8-10 discs.
- DX LEOPARD – The Leopard should be everyone’s first fairway driver as it is has excellent glide and is easy to throw straight and far. The Leopard is a great turnover disc for players of all skill levels.
- DX SHARK – The best all around golf disc. A very accurate disc for drives and approach shots, you can even putt with it. Excellent for beginners.
- DX AVIAR - The number one putter in disc golf, a straight flier with a predictable finish. It is versatile and is dependable in all conditions. A must have disc for any serious competitor’s bag.
Note: If the smaller Innova shoulder bag isn’t sufficient for your needs, we recommend upgrading to the Prodigy Disc Apex XL Backpack. It’s easily one of the best disc golf bags on the market and includes a number of convenient features, including space for up to 34 discs and an insulated cooler pocket.
Best disc golf training set: GOOSO Disc Golf Starter Set
- Includes 24 discs
- Disc types are categorized by color
The GOOSO disc golf starter set is ideal for training at home or on the course. With 24 discs, it allows you to simply practice your shots without having to retrieve your disc every time. You’ll get a variety of different disc types (eight putters, eight mid-range discs and eight drivers), each of which is easy to note by its color. These PDGA-approved discs are made with flexible, durable plastic so they can hold up to frequent throwing practice.
- BIG QUANTITY! 24 Discs packed! All the discs are blank, you can DIY with your pattern.
- This discs golf set is perfect for new or professional players. you will find 24 of the most popular discs from the carrying bag, Easy to Throw Weights (150-180g), Colors and weights will vary.
- The disc models in this set allow you to hit the course and play your best from the get-go. Keep your drives in the fairway, throw reliable approaches, and make those center chain putts more often. Your scores will show the difference with the right discs in your hands.
- Ideal Discs Golf Set Includes: 8*Fairway Driver, 8*Mid-Range, 8*Putter Disc, also offers beginners a faster driver with more distance glide. Ideal for forehand throws and performs well into headwinds.
- Made with flexible plastic to give you the bend and distance you need in your game. perfect molds for distance, accuracy and flexibility.
If you want to be the MVP on the disc golf course, gear up with one of these sets. Make sure to choose disc golf equipment that’s geared to your skill level, your needs and your budget.
What do you need to play disc golf?
Disc golf is a relatively simple sport when it comes to gear. There are only two key pieces of equipment that you need:
- Flying discs: When comparing disc golf to traditional golf, the flying discs are like the golf ball and the golf club in one. Different types of discs are used depending on what kinds of throws you want to make. The goal with each throw is to get your disc as close to the basket as possible.
- Targets: The target is like the hole on a putting green. You want to get your flying disc to the target with as few throws as possible. Most disc golf courses feature baskets as targets. These baskets feature a tall pole with hanging chains and a tray underneath. This setup helps to secure the disc in place when it reaches the target.
There are other accessories which can be used in disc golf but aren’t necessary to play. For example, you can use a disc golf bag to carry your discs or set down mini markers to note the positions of various players on the course.
How many golf discs are needed to start disc golf?
There are three main types of disc golf discs which you’ll need to participate in this sport:
- Driver: Best for long-distance throws to get the disc far down the course
- Mid-range disc: Best for accuracy and control on medium-distance throws
- Putter: Best for the short-range shots to get the disc in the basket
There are some additional variations of these disc types which intermediate and advanced players may want to add to their collection of gear. For example, there are distance drivers (for maximum distance off the tee) and fairway drivers (for long distances but with more control). Additionally, approach discs are like a hybrid between a mid-range disc and a putter (though some putters are designed as “putt & approach” discs to fulfill both needs).
Understable vs. overstable discs
Disc golf discs are sometimes categorized as understable or overstable. Generally, understable discs are better for beginners, those who don’t throw with a lot of power and throwing into a tailwind. With a traditional right-handed backhand throw, an understable disc will turn right during its flight.
Overstable discs are better for experienced disc golfers, those who throw with a lot of power and throwing into a headwind. With a traditional right-handed backhand throw, an overstable disc will turn left during its flight.
Can I use a regular Frisbee for disc golf?
It’s best to buy new discs which are specifically designed for disc golf. There are significant differences between golf discs and Frisbees. For example, they’re typically made using smaller injection molds and some are heavier than a Frisbee.
Frisbees can technically be used for disc golf, but they’re not as efficient in reaching the targets. For the best results, choose discs which have been approved by the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA).
What is the difference between a disc golf set and a regular golf set?
A regular golf set comes with different clubs, while a disc golf set consists of various discs. There are similar names used for golf clubs and golf discs, like driver and putter, which indicate how these different pieces of equipment are used on the course. However, the number of discs in a disc golf set is usually lower than the number of clubs in a regular golf set.
How to choose disc golf discs for beginners
A beginner set for disc golf should contain the following discs: a driver, a mid-range disc and a putter. Look for stable or understable discs marketed for beginners to get simple, easy-to-use equipment. You can find beginner sets through online retailers like Amazon, specialty sites like Infinite Discs and classic sporting goods stores.
How many discs should a beginner have?
A disc golf starter set should have three discs: a driver, a mid-range disc and a putter. As a player’s skills advance, they may want to add more discs to their collection of gear. However, these three discs are best for simplifying the elements of the game for beginners.
Disc golf FAQs
Is disc golf an expensive sport?
Disc golf is a relatively cheap sport. You can get a starter set of discs for under $30, and many courses are free to play or have low fees.
What age is disc golf for?
Disc golf is an all-ages sport. Toddlers and young children, however, typically play using child-sized sets. Disc golf courses are more challenging, and kids under age 18 may need an adult present to play depending on the course rules.
How many holes are in disc golf?
As in regular golf, the typical length for a disc golf course is either nine or 18 holes.
What is the disc golf target?
The disc golf target is typically a basket with a chained area to help capture the discs. This is like the hole in regular golf in that players aim to get the disc into the basket in as few throws as possible.
When traditional disc golf baskets aren’t available, players can improvise by designating certain objects in the surrounding environment (like trees, for example) as targets.
Last update on 2023-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API