What Is The Definition Of An Error In Baseball?
1. This refers to when a fielder misplays a ball that allows a batter to reach base, a baserunner to advance to an extra base or a batter is able to extend his at-bat instead of being put out.
Examples Of How Error Is Used In Commentary
1. The baserunner is called safe after the shortstop bobbles the throw from the second baseman. The shortstop will be charged with the error and the official scorer will mark that as an E-6.
SportsLingo Goes The Extra-Inch With The Meaning Of Error
In baseball, there are nine different defensive positions that can be charged with an error. To help differentiate and keep track of which player commits an error on a single play, statisticians have come up with abbreviations for each position when they have committed an error.
The abbreviations are as follows:
- E1 – For when a pitcher commits an error.
- E2 – For when a catcher commits an error.
- E3 – For when a first baseman commits an error.
- E4 – For when a second baseman commits an error.
- E5 – For when a third baseman commits an error.
- E6 – For when the shortstop commits an error.
- E7 – For when the left fielder commits an error.
- E8 – For when the center fielder commits an error.
- E9 – For when the right fielder commits an error.
Sports The Term Is Used