What Is The Definition Of Jump Shot?
1. This is a shot that is taken in basketball where the player shoots the ball while jumping off the ground.
Although there are many variations of the jump shot, a common technique for shooting a is to going through the following motion:
- First, the shooter is to face the basket with the feet parallel and shoulder width apart. Also, one foot is to be slightly ahead of the other. The shooter is to determine on their own which foot they’d prefer.
- While jumping and their feet barely off the ground, the shooter then raises the ball above their head, with one hand holding the ball and the other hand guiding.
- While in the air, the elbow holding the ball should be facing the basket for accuracy.
- At the peak of the jump, the shooter will then uncock their wrist and roll ball through their hands and past the fingertips, giving the ball a spinning rotation.
Examples Of How Jump Shot Is Used In Basketball
1. The point guard pushes the ball up court on the fast break and pulls up for a quick mid-range jump shot.
SportsLingo Goes The Extra-Inch With The Meaning Of Jump Shot
The jump shot is the most effective and common method for making a field goal away from the basket. With the shooter jumping and holding the ball above their head, it is a difficult shot to defend and block.
Although it’s not known who was the first to create the jump shot, many credit Ken Sailors for popularizing it, beginning in May of 1934.
Sport The Term Is Used
Also Known As: