What Is The Definition Of A Flagrant Foul In Basketball?
1. This is a type of foul in basketball that is called when the contact is believed to be excessive, whether it is intentional or unintentional.
The team that the flagrant foul was committed on is given two free throws and possession of the ball.
How Many Types Of Flagrant Fouls Are There?
There are two types of flagrant fouls in basketball: the flagrant 1 foul and the flagrant 2 foul. While both are issued for unnecessary contact, the flagrant foul type depends on whether or not there was excessive contact.
What Is The Difference Between A Flagrant 1 And Flagrant 2 Foul?
Flagrant 1 and 2 fouls are both called for unnecessary contact related to the play. A flagrant 2 foul is unnecessary and excessive contact. The referee has the ultimate discretion in deciding between a flagrant 1 and a flagrant 2 foul.
How Many Flagrant Fouls Are Allowed In A Basketball Game?
A basketball player can be charged with up to two flagrant 1 fouls before being ejected from a basketball game. One flagrant 2 foul results in immediate ejection.
Any kind of flagrant foul also counts as a personal foul for that player.
How Long Are Suspensions For Flagrant Fouls In The Playoffs?
Flagrant fouls carry heavier weight during the playoffs and suspensions are based off of a points system. The length of a suspension for a flagrant foul depends on the number of previous flagrant fouls committed by a player. A flagrant 1 foul counts as one point and a flagrant 2 foul counts as two points.
The points system for suspensions is as follows:
- If a player has two points and commits a flagrant 2 foul, they are automatically suspended for one game.
- If a player has three or four points and commits a flagrant 1 foul, the player is automatically suspended for one game.
- If a player has three or four points and commits a flagrant 2 foul, the player is automatically suspended for two games.
- If a player has five points and commits either type of flagrant foul, the player is automatically suspended for two games.
Examples Of How Flagrant Foul Is Used In Commentary
Sport The Term Is Used