What Is The Definition Of Putout In Baseball?
1. This is a term that is used to describe when a defensive player registers an out for his team.
There a multiple ways to get an out, such as:
- Catching a fly ball, in foul or fair territory
- Catching a third strike for a strikeout
- Catching a batted or thrown ball and tagging a base for a force out
- Tagging a baserunner with the ball when they are not touching a base
- Catching the ball and tagging a base on an appeal play to get an out
- A fielder is positioned close enough to a baserunner who is called out for interference
Is A Strikeout A Putout For A Catcher?
Yes. If the catchers catches the third strike, or if there is a bunt that is fouled on the second strike or the catcher drops a third strike but first base is occupied, then yes, the catcher is credited with a putout on a strikeout.
Examples Of How Putout Is Used In Commentary
1. Griffey jogs under the fly ball in shallow center for a routine putout.
2. Williams fields the ball cleanly at third and tosses it to second for the force putout.
Sports The Term Is Used